1st October 2018
Operation Veteran Charity Auction
Operation Veteran Work throughout Covid
During the Covid 19 crisis the Operation Veteran team has been hard at work actively supporting members of our community and their families and all in an unpaid capacity. Here are a few of our activities over the past 12 weeks:
• 5 veterans supported into employment
• 2 Families in South Shields provided with emergency food vouchers and connected with foodbanks for parcels (referral from WWTW)
• Purchased and delivered a microwave in addition to food vouchers for a veteran with no cooker or food while he was awaiting benefits
• Supporting two veterans with substance misuse issues – phone calls every two days and visited one (distance observed)
• Over 400 phone calls to veterans from the op veteran team to carry out welfare checks and virtual visitor service
• Supported a veteran with no gas or heating – vouchers and card to up – sorted within 12 hours of call
• Provided information and support to help a veteran secure his small business grant.
• Now 5 veterans referred directly for mental health support through Tils, Minds at War and Anxious Minds
• Helped a disabled veteran and his family to get food deliveries through social media contacts
• Arranged for and facilitated volunteering opportunities for veterans to drive ambulances, work in foodbanks and cooking for and delivering to the community (self-isolated and quarantined) from local community
• Weekly visits to a veteran with dementia – taking for exercise centres and ensuring that he is eating
• Collected and delivered a pushbike for a veteran in early stages of recovery from alcohol abuse.
• Liaised with partner organisations across the region to coordinate efforts to support veterans and their families.